Sunday, November 22, 2015

MANDY'S LAW: EPISODE TEN: WELCOME ABOARD



He had no idea why he was summoned, he just sat there restless, looking at the man in front of him, he wasn't just a man, he was a legal legend. When he first mentioned his employment at Lawson and Associates, everyone rated him as the real MVP, it was huge because Joseph Lawson was a formidable lawyer who no one stood a chance with in court and there he was sitting right in front of him, he knew a day like that would come but he never believed it would come sooner. 

"So Mr Obieze, when did you start working with us?" he asked in a somewhat refined manner 
"Just yesterday, sir" he gulped hoping the feeling at the pit of his stomach would go away. 
"Yesterday? I saw your name come up on my log as a representing lawyer of Mr Biodun Bankole and you just started yesterday? Not only that, he was just worth about five million to the company, now he is worth more than 20. How did you get his contract to change?"
"I helped him get a patent for the prototype of an auto tractor he developed for Nelson Farms, that way they can't use them without his approval and also I threatened to take his merchandise elsewhere if he isn't given the lion share" he said 

The room became silent and he could feel the tension build up.a

"A patent? In a day?  Now I am intrigued. You see Mr Obieze, I never meet with new associates, there are a load of them here, not until like two years or more when they get their own clients. But you were able to do so in a day, not because you are smart or the best, but you established what people fail to see, trust. I don't care the method you used to get that patent, but you thought like a lawyer. We lawyers we do a lot, we leverage, we gamble, we see that line and we cross it just for our clients but when you do all that for selfish reasons then you loose yourself in the process. I hope you will keep doing what is right Mike, you remind me of myself before I started this firm" 
"Thank you sir, I am short of words, don't know what to say"
"Here" he opened his drawer and handed him a drink wrapped in a velvet cloth "that's a 1972 Bordeaux, use it an celebrate"
"Celebrate?" he took the drink from his hand surprised "I only got a client what he deserved, he should be the one celebrating"
"Not the client, I just promoted you to level three. You made history today Mike and I am impressed"

Mandy was doing some light reading in her office when Bello pushed the door and walked in.

"You should knock more often" she looked up at him
"Spare me that, you know why I am here. Why did you go and visit Mrs Ajah? You don't get a pass for being the boss' daughter, if you want a pass start behaving like an adult and not a brat!" he raved
"Watch your tone Barrington, I went to visit a friend, told you I know her"
"Lay off my case Lawson! If you can't stand the heat, get the hell out of the kitchen!"
"That's the problem, I've been in the kitchen for too long making appetizers when I can whip up a three course meal. You better guard that case like your life depends on it because soon the boss will see reasons why I should handle it. Now let the door hit you on your way out"

He chuckled and walked to the door, turned and looked at her.

"You don't have to always prove yourself to daddy you know, if you are good, he would recognize you. By the way your assistant just got moved to level three, better look for a new one because soon he would be in your level, maybe even partner. Sleep on that"

He walked out shutting the door hard behind him.
Peggy and Mike are in the board room, it's already dusk. He unwrapped the Bordeaux and poured it into the wine glass.
"So you are now in level three, impressive" she said
"Yes I am, what of you what's your level? I hope you don't mind me asking"
"Doesn't apply to me, I'm more like a paralegal, did law as a diploma"
"Wow, but you are still high, secretary to 'the' Joseph Lawson, it's a level everyone would want to be in"
He handed her a glass.
"Are you sure you want to share this drink with me? That's a quality wine, don't waste it."
"You made this possible, today I got a client, got promoted and my salary went up, it's all you Pegs"
"Cheers"
They clinch glasses and take a sip

"So what now Mike?"
"Well, I just have to keep doing what I do, and please next time you want to send me to someone like Rex, give me a heads up"
"Like you didn't have fun your royal highness" they laughed "You should have seen your eyes, how were you able to keep it together and get on a bus back?"
"Let's just say it wasn't my first time, second or third"
"We all have weird pasts huh? Don't worry, no one is a saint anyway. Let's make a toast, to always doing things the right way no matter the risk" she raised her glass
"No matter the risk, bottoms up!"


To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't forget to drop your comment! I would love to hear your thoughts! Thanks for reading