Friday, November 13, 2015

MANDY'S LAW: EPISODE FIVE; A LONG DAY

He sighed deeply as he packed up his suitcase,  it had really been tiresome first day and he could not wait to get home, take a long shower and hop into bed.  He walked to the elevator,  pressed the button and waited.  After some minutes the bell chimed and the door slid open,  he got in and pressed button one and as they door slid close Mandy stepped in.

"Didn't expect to find you here Magic Mike" she joked
"Are you going to keep calling me That? Do I have a say or I'm I supposed to just go with the flow? " he asked
"Of course you have a say,  you are a lawyer" 
"Well I object!" he exclaimed and she laughed wildly
"So, how was your first day? "
"It was a perfect blend of tiring, exhausting and exhilarating I must say. I barely sat down at my desk for a second"  he groaned 
"Welcome to Lawson and Associates,  trust me it will get worse.  I hope you left the files signed by Mr Bankole on my table,  I will attend to it early in the morning and by the way,  don't wear all your primary colors to work, ever"
The door opened and she walked out without giving him the chance to utter a word.

Bello walked into the office bar only to find Joseph drowning his sorrows with a glass of scotch.

"Isn't it too early for happy hour?" he said as he poured himself a desired amount into his glass. 
"I am thinking,  it helps me think" he said in his defense
"Cheers to that"
They click their glass and he sat down to enjoy the liquor 
"What's on your mind?" Bello asked him
"The minister wants me to represent him in court and he is not taking no for an answer"  he said
"You mean the same minister that looted billions in government?" he nods "what is in it for you?" 
"30% of the loot plus the commissioning of a new plot for Lawson and Associates,  Abuja branch"
"Now I get why you need to think. Has he even considered that you might lose the case?"
"Bello,  with my level of integrity,  backing him up alone simply means that he will walk plus he wants me to pull a few strings" he said 
"And are the puppets ready for a puppeteer?"
"There is always a puppeteer,  just a different show"
"To be honest, the deal is really tempting. What does your heart say?"
"I wish it could speak for itself, right now it is radio silent"

He watched the scene of the night sky from the foot of the stairs and imagined how peaceful and serene it looked. He knew he had to do the right thing, he must do the right thing. He pulled out his phone from his pocket and dialed a number. After several beeps of the dial tone the line picked up at the other end. 
"Hello"
"Hello Biodun, it's Mike.  I have thought about what you said and I have a plan, trust me you will get more than just 40%"

He hung up and slipped back his phone into his pocket. He dusted his suit as he stood and walked down to the gate then he turned back to take one final glance at the building.
Maybe it changed people, he thought maybe all that power corrupted them, maybe they all believed they were there to help people and in the end they dropped their cause at the gate. Definitely not him and whatever went wrong in the first place, he will fix it.

To be continued 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't forget to drop your comment! I would love to hear your thoughts! Thanks for reading