Tuesday, November 10, 2015

MANDY'S LAW: EPISODE TWO; ROOKIE II

He placed the box of files which contained some personal items and stationeries on the desk and tried to arrange them when he felt a soft pat on his back.

"Hi roomy"

He turned to see a beautiful dark skinned girl looking at him. Her well defined curves fit perfectly into her red blouse and brown skirt and her facial features made him quiver. He wasn't used to the attention from the opposite sex.

"Sorry you really scared me"

He fumbled for the files in the box and continued with the arrangement, she walked over and sat across the table.

"Are you shy?" 
She stared at him with her chin resting on her palm.
"No I'm not, I didn't expect a girl like you to be sharing a desk with me"
"Awww you think I'm cute"
"No!"
She raised her brows 
"Yes of course you are v--er-y cute" he stuttered, he looked up to see her smiling
"What?"
"I would have loved to be your roomy, but I'm not, trust me you don't want to know who stays here" she stood immediately  "I am Mandy Lawson, senior associate and you are?"
"Obieze Mike, excuse me, your last name Lawson as in the firm, Lawson and Associates" 
"Yup I'm also the boss' daughter"



They walked out of the building to a red Audi parked in the compound. His phone beeped and he checked only to see a message from MTN, he sighed and pressed the lock button.
"So like doctors, we make court rounds and this is one of them, get in" 

She opened the door and turned to him.

"You mean into the car?" He said confused
"No into into the bus, yes into the car let's go"
He hurried to the passengers side and got in. She started the ignition and sped out into the road.



The court room was already packed to the brim when they came in. She walked straight to the front and he followed not sure of what was going on. The judge raised her head and looked at her with a straight face.

"You are late!" She said 
"I know Judge Tolu and I'm sorry" she motioned him to sit on the defense side as she walked up to meet the judge
"Mandy you always do this, I said 8:00am"
"It's 8:04 and I'm not saying I am right, just saying it won't happen again" 
"You said that the last time..."
"I mean it this time"
"Okay you may go, let's begin" she hits the gavel as she walked back with a wide grin on her face
"Case 11045 Bankole vs Nelson Farms defense council?"
"I am" Mandy said as she stood
"Opposing council?" 
"I am" a sturdy man in a dark grey suit stood "and this is my client" he pointed at a middle aged man beside him
"Is that your client?" Judge Tolu pointed at Mike
"No my assistant, we are standing in for my client"
"Okay, so what is the hold up?"
"The young man in question is trying to breach the usual agreement of a 20-80 settlement when he developed the prototype for an automatic tractor" the opposing lawyer said 
"Is it signed?" 
"Yes" 
He goes over and presents a paper to the Judge, she looked at it and gave it back to him
"Mandy?"
"We are working on it, but I believe that a 20-80 settlement is too poor considering my client made their job easier"
"But he knew before he signed it" he barked
"He didn't and you know that..."
"That's enough! Go over the initial contract and get him to settle for something else, that's all I can say, next case" she hits the gavel 

They packed up their suitcase to leave the court room
"That was fast, I thought these things take time" Mike said to her
"This is hearing court dummy, let's go we have work to do"


To be continued

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. You can see how powerful this one flows, because I guessed you polished it as it came directly from your heart without adding scenes or vocabularies. At this point, adding is what is mostly spoiling the flow. So I value subtracting, correcting, managing tension and filling in the gap. Through this, I learnt that If a creative writer is not faithful to what comes from his heart, the unfaithfulness will negatively affect the flow of the story. What do you say about it?

    2. Instead of: He hurried to the passengers side and got in. She started the ignition and sped out into the road.

    Why not: As he hurried into the passengers side, she started the car and sped out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I say you are absolutely right! I write it as I think it and I'm still in touch. Really appreciate all this, you are turning me into a much better writer *Laughs*

      Delete

Don't forget to drop your comment! I would love to hear your thoughts! Thanks for reading