Thursday, November 12, 2015

MANDY'S LAW: EPISODE FOUR; PICKING SIDES

He pondered on why she sent for him, it was quite odd that on his first day he barely settled in rather he was dragged from one office to the other. She was busy working on the computer when he stepped in.

"Sit down Magic Mike" she commanded and he scurried to the chair.

He looked round the office, it was feminine with red walls, red car, red walls maybe red was her favorite color he thought.

"So what did Bello want?" She asked 
"Uhmmm he just suggested a lot of things to me, he didn't ask for anything just that I come to work 8:00am law time" he said
"Oh, he used that phrase on you, typical. I didn't call you here for gossip, I have two  10:00am appointments clashing and I need you to handle one for me, the Nelson Farms case, make sure you seal the deal I need that case off my back A.S.A.P." she grunted
"Why? What's wrong with the case?" He queried
"A new case just came in, Ajah case and it's keeping me from it"

He looked at her perplexed

"Ajah case is a murder trial, Chief Benson Ajah, his wife is on trial for his murder" she explained
"Yes I heard about it, poor man, so I guess the firm is defending the dead man"
"No we are defending the wife"
"But she killed him..."
"Innocent until proven guilty, you should know that, now take this" she handed over a bunch of files "Go to board room 4, meet with Mr Bankole and get him to sign the files, you may go now" she continued with her work. 

He looked at the files confused and looked back at her

"How am I supposed to get him to sign it?"
"You are still here..."
"Sorry"
He leaves.



Mr Bankole was already in the board room waiting anxiously and when Mike came in he was surprised. He expected a man, a bit elderly but all he met was a young boy not more than 22. He stood abruptly on seeing Mike.

"Hi I'm Obieze Mike, Mandy's assistant" he said as they shook hands
"I'm Biodun Bankole, I was supposed to meet Mandy is everything okay? I really need to be back in school for lectures" he said agitated
"Wow you are a student? Which school, department and level?"

 Mike asked as they sat down

"University of Lagos, final year mechanical engineering" 
"I'm really impressed, I've been hearing Mr Bankole and I expected someone older"
"Well there is one, my father" he joked and they laughed
"She gave me the files" he handed it over.

He flipped through the pages and suddenly his countenance dropped

"It says here I have to settle for 40-60, I'm sorry but I can't" he tossed the files on the table
"Why? It's a good deal than the 20-80 you initially signed up for"
"I never did" 
"But it is in the contract..."
"Can I call you Mike? I believe you are new to this business and haven't been bought yet by money" 
"I don't know what that means but go on"
"I invented the prototype in my 300 level, Nelson Farms came with a lot of fake promises and sugar coated deals, opportunities like this hardly come in a country like ours so I took it and now they are trying to rob me of my handiwork. I can't be given 40% of my own invention" he stood "Tell Mandy we don't have a deal and Mike, I hope this place doesn't change you, I've seen what power does to people and it is tempting. My number is referenced in the file call me when they have a better offer"

He leaves the board room to the awe of Mike who wasn't sure whether to applaud for his guts or whine for not sealing the deal.

To be continued 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't forget to drop your comment! I would love to hear your thoughts! Thanks for reading