Tuesday, November 24, 2015

MANDY'S LAW: EPISODE TWELVE: NOT A CLUE


She ushered them into the cozy office, the telephone started ringing and she rushed to answer the unknown caller.

"Hold on for a second" she picked the receiver
"Hello, Mr Olu, how are you? Yes I got your cheque thank you for your generous donation to the success of the fashion show, yes... Don't worry everything is in good hands, I will save you a front row seat, alright, thanks again, bye" she hung up.
"I am sorry I kept you waiting Mandy, most times I get lost and confused , the fashion show is coming up and it is taking my time because there is a lot to do, but that's not why I called you" she said the words all at once
"I know, I've just been waiting for your soft landing" Mandy joked
"You see, I run a legitimate business here, I give a voice to the girls in my agency and I try also to be like a big sister to them. But most times, some of them are out of control and do some ludicrous things that make a mess, I am not bothered until it interferes with my name"
"So what are you actually saying?" Mandy asked
"One of my girls is trying to poach my biggest investor. She wants to start her own agency and she is already convincing some of my girls to come along"
"How is this our concern? We are lawyers not detectives" Mike said
"If she succeeds, there won't be a 'Dazzle Lady' for you to represent, I won't have enough pay cheques to throw into your account, I will have to cut budgets and look for a cheaper firm"
"We could sue, if her contract says she can't go solo until a particular period of time" Mandy suggested
"There is one more thing, but I can't say it in front of him"

She looked at Mike and back at Mandy

"He has to know, he would do majority of the work"
"You don't understand, maybe when I tell you, then you can brief him or whatever it is you do"

The room became silent and Mike was left to think on what will become of him. 

"Mike could you please wait outside" Mandy said to him
"Seriously?" she nodded "Fine"

He stood and walked out of the room shutting the door behind him
.
He sat on one of the recliners outside the office for a while, until he saw her walking past him. She was changed in a white pant suit. 



"Excuse, me, Excuse me"

She stopped and turned to him. He walked up to her. 

"Hi, my name is Mike" 

He extended his hand hoping for a hand shake but she just looked at him.

"Isn't this how it works? I say my name, you say yours?" 
She smiled and gave in

"My name is Ngozi"
"Wow, you are a blessing indeed, uhmm I hope this is not weird, I saw you during your photoshoot, my firm represents this agency, are you one of the girls?" he asked
"No I am a freelancer, was called here for a job, so you are a lawyer, didn't know... Never mind" she cut herself short
"No say it, we are basically two people engaging in a conversation"
"Well, just wanted to say I didn't know it was kind of you know, really lucrative considering the kind of country we are in"
"I didn't know modeling was too" 

There was a moment of silence and soon they both started laughing. 

"You got me there" she chuckled
"I hope you don't mind if I asked for your number?"

He didn't even know when the words jumped out of his mouth and he silently prayed she won't turn him down.
"Nope" 

He searched his pocket for his phone but it wasn't in it. 

"Oh God! I left my phone in my bag and it's in the room"
"Do you have your card with you at least?"

He searched his breast pocket and retrieved one 

"Thank God I hold on to that" he gave it to her.
"I don't have a pen with me, I will give you a call instead"
"Seriously you will call me? Girls always use that to take a guy off their back"
"Not me, if I say I would, I will. Have a nice day Mike" she walked away 

Mandy came out of the office immediately with his bag. 

"You left this" she handed it over to him "Did I just see Ngozi Anya walking out just now?"
"Yes, you know her and her surname?"
"Who doesn't, wait you don't know who that is?" she asked surprised
"No, I've been speaking with her actually, even asked her for her number, she took my card though saying she would call me, I left my phone in the bag" 
She busted into a wild laughter, holding on to her stomach in the process
"What?"
"That girl was second runner up Britain's Next top model, Miss Nigeria UK, a lot of billboard endorsements and runway shows. She is one of the most sought after models in Nigeria and abroad. There is also a rumor she was selected to be on the Victoria Secret fashion show, don't you watch the television?" 

She spilled out her biography and it was too hot for him to digest.

"I do but not those things, I bet people like you don't even know the governor of Jigawa State" he said
"I do, I am an all rounder and she said she would call ? Don't even wait on it, she is way out of your league, let's go"


To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't forget to drop your comment! I would love to hear your thoughts! Thanks for reading