Wednesday, November 18, 2015

MANDY'S LAW: EPISODE SEVEN: ROAD TRIP





Rex the Best wasn't who Mike thought of him to be, he was a reggae looking boy bent over a game of spider solitaire when he found his way to his table. 

"Ehmm" he coughed lightly enough to catch his attention. 
"Be with you in a second, need to crush the computer" he said still playing 
"Isn't it working hours and too early to play that?"
"Even the boss knows I multitask so he doesn't interfere" he shouted in glee as he won the game "Now how may I help you, Mr clean shave"
"Seriously why does everyone say that, here"

 He gave him the folded piece of paper. He reads it and chuckled

"The Benin witch strikes again. So Peggy wants me to whip up a patent for you? The question is what do I get in return?"

He swerved on the chair biting on his pencil.

"I thought that was stated in the paper?"
"You didn't read it?" he nodded "Wow she has that effect on everyone. You see what was in the paper was that I help as a favor I owe her,  but in other to,  you have to help me,  that's how it goes, an eye for an eye"
"So what should I do, I'm desperate and I need the patent before noon"
"You will get it once you do a simple delivery for me.  Just a simple trip to the mainland"
"The mainland? There could be traffic or worse a grid lock!  How am I supposed to be back before noon?"
"I don't care!  You could borrow Peggy's broom and fly with it" he looked at him with mouth agape "All I am saying is, figure it out"
"Fine, let me have whatever it is" he opened up his top drawer, retrieved an envelope and handed it over to him. 
"The address is at the back"

He rushed out of the room without looking back hoping and praying that he would be able to catch the next bus. 


It took forever to pass the third mainland bridge and finally the bus was on the mainland swerving from side to side. He phone rang and he picked it to answer the unknown caller. 

"Hello"
"Mike, did he help you?"
"Peggy? How did you get my number?" he asked 
"I have your portfolio stupid! So did he help?"

"Almost"
"What does that mean,  did he help or not?"
"He sent me on a road trip to make a delivery"
"Where? "
"Somewhere in Oshodi"
"That warri fool did not just send you to the mainland! I will kill him" her voice pierced through from the other end. 
"I'm already on a BRT not like I can fly with your broom like he suggested"
"Get back here as soon as possible,  I will not cover for you"
"I was just about to ask that"
"Hell to the NO!  figure it out yourself" she hung up before he could even get to plead
"I'm in deep trouble, who send me?"


He finally arrived his destination, it was an irregular four storey that looked like it was about to hit the ground. He ascended a flight of stairs to the top floor and knocked repeatedly on the door. A tall muscular man opened up wearing just his jeans, smoking heavily.



"Who you dey find?" he said in pidgin with a deep voice.

"Eehhh,  Uhmmm,  I'm looking for Guciano, Rex sent me to give this to him" he stuttered as he passed down the envelope. 
'Hmm" he opened it and looked at the contents "So you dey work with my brother?"
"U hmm,  something like that, can I go now? "
"Chill first, I no dey chop human being so no fear,  how you go enter my cabal comot you no go sniff small, enter make I tear you one wrap"
"I don't smoke during work hours" he said not sure if it was convincing enough 
"No be cigar na, just small weed no one go notice. Or you wan make we get problem?" he blew the smoke on his face 
"Okay, just one, and I'm off"
He entered the house ignoring his conscience as it screamed loudly at him, but desperate times indeed calls for desperate measures.

To be continued... 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't forget to drop your comment! I would love to hear your thoughts! Thanks for reading