Wednesday, December 9, 2015

MANDY'S LAW: EPISODE EIGHTEEN: EVERYONE HATES BANKERS



He had always hated banks and the memories it brought along with it but he couldn't avoid it this time, he had to try. 


Coupled with the harsh cold breeze of the harmattan that morning, the air conditioning in the banking hall was worse that even though he had suited up, he felt it down his spine.
"Can't they just increase it or better still turn it off?" 

He cursed under his breath as he made his way to the customer service. 

"Welcome to Land Bank, how may I help you?" 

The woman said between a forced smile and gritted teeth. 

"I would like to see the manager please" 

He said and her forehead creased as the smile disappeared slowly. 

"If you have any complaints about your bank account, I can address the issue instead of going straight to the manager" she said 
"I don't bank here, no offense but I'm here on behalf of a former employee, Mr Emenike Issac, I'm his lawyer"

She looked at him for a while and picked the phone receiver.

"Just a second" she dialed a number 
"Hello sir, a lawyer is here to see you, okay, would direct him to your office" she put down the receiver 
"Come with me sir"



She ushered him into the managers office and he was glad that the temperature was more regulated. 

"Please have a sit, how may I help you?" the manager said politely 

"I am here representing Mr Issac Emenike, he was a former accountant before the retrenchment. He has filed for unlawful termination of employment"

His eyes widened in disbelief. 

"Are you serious? Who does that? Was he the only one that was fired?"
"Well he has based his claims on him being fully qualified for the job more than anyone. His credentials are attached at the back of his file"

He passed down the envelope to him and he opened it pouring out the content. He flipped through page by page, reading keenly. 

"Issac, now I know who he is. I'm sorry to say this but he was a complete pain in my ass. He always gave opinions in matters that didn't concern him because of his so called qualifications, he even threatened to get me fired because I made a 2.2 and passed my chartered. Everyone hated him no exception, he was too full of himself, a Mr I know it all, I might not be as smart as he is, but I have more practical skills. Let me give you an advice, stay away from his case or he wouldn't end up teaching you how to do your own job" he warned
"I promised I would do some research, I am not fully on the case, I don't like banks and bankers. Well everything you just said I witnessed first hand, will let him know I'm not taking the case, I also have a problem with Mr know all's" 

"Thank you for being reasonable, I just got promoted, I don't think the bank can handle a lawsuit, one more thing since you are here, why not try opening an account with us? We have a special interest package for the holidays" 

He said with a wide grin which made Mike smile and wonder if they would ever change from their enticing devilish deals. 

"Thanks but I will pass, have a nice day"

"Uhmm, there, there, the other one and that one, that's all" 

Mandy helped Joseph get through the office application on the laptop. 

"Nice work, took me a while to figure it out, thanks for putting me through it" he said 

"You are welcome" 

"Mandy, why don't you want Bello on the murder case?" he asked
"Of course he told you" she said in spite "Well for starters, I think Bello gets the big cases all the time and I am left with peanuts"
"You know that's not true. Do you know who is on the opposing counsel?"

"No"

"Olabanjo, you know how ruthless he is, I'm doing this for you, you can't bear such heat. It's bad enough we are on the defense, and they got Olabanjo. Bello is well equipped for this, he majored in criminal law" 

He tried to placate her with his words. 

"I get it, I can't stand whatever Olabanjo will rain in court, but you know I'm prepared, how long will I have to be on the bleachers? Soon you would give me an excuse on why I'm not partner yet"

"So this is also about that. Andy, I am your father and I know what is best for you, but you have to slow down your pace, you don't get to the mountain by jumping over hurdles, you get there one rock at a time. Tell Mike to see me, I need to know his response on the case, he is backing up Bello"

Mandy looked at him surprised that he mentioned Mike. 

"Mike? My assistant?"
"Yes, he has great potentials and he is also a criminal lawyer, didn't he inform you that he was asked to back up Bello?"

She chuckled and shook her head. 

"Maybe it slipped, don't worry, I would tell him when he gets back from a case I didn't approve"


To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't forget to drop your comment! I would love to hear your thoughts! Thanks for reading