Monday, December 7, 2015

MANDY'S LAW: EPISODE SIXTEEN: BRAVE STEPS






"That's all on my cases for review"

Bello shut of the iPad as Joseph marked out the cases on his handbook. 

"Great job Bello, you always make me proud" he said 
"Thanks... Dad" 

He looked at him with his brows raised 

"Just kidding... obviously"
"How far have you gone with the Ajah case? trial starts soon"
"I'm still working on it, but I need an associate haven't found someone competent enough plus Mandy is making things difficult, she wants the case" he said 
"Leave her to me, about the associate, what do you think of Mike?" 

Bello looked at him confused. 

"Mike? The newbie Mike?"
"Yes, or does anyone else bear the name?"
"Mike, hmmm, Mike, why do you think he is capable?" he asked out of curiosity 
"The boy has two clients in three weeks, imagine what he could do in a year"
"That's true and I will send for him after this meeting. It seems like you have bigger fish to fry"

He looked straight at him and Joseph wondered what he meant by that statement. 

"What?" 
"I saw you get into a tundra parked in the compound yesterday" he said 
"Oh, that's the minister. He came into town yesterday" he said rather nonchalantly 
"So?"
"I was able to stall, but not for long"
"Why can't you just say no?"
"Because it's not in the option, it's either yes or yes. I'm backed up in a tight corner Bello, I need to figure out what I have to do next"
"You better figure it out quick, it's already telling on you, the stress"

He wasn't sure of what to say or why he was called, he just sat there looking at him and the words jumped out of his mouth rather too soon.

"Uhmm if this about me coming late today in law time, there is totally an explanation" he said
"It's not about that but do tell" he crossed his fingers and tilted forward
"I thought you said its not about that... "
"You are really smart Mike, what do you know about the Ajah case?" he asked
"I've heard whispers enough to know that it is a murder trial"
"Whispers, or gossip, do you engage in office gossip Mike?"
"Definitely not gossip, whispers" he said
"Well the whisperer was right, it's definitely a murder trial. I need an associate to back me up in court are you up to the task? This requires more work, your head in the case and of course being early in law time"

He couldn't believe what he heard and his mouth flung open in amazement. 

"Wow I don't know what to say, it's really overwhelming to ask me to be an associate on a leading case"
"Are you in or not?"
"Hundred percent in, I'm ready to give it my all and always be early" he said
"I'm still building up the case so this requires you working closely with me all the time so one more thing, you need to clear this out with Mandy"
"Sure, I don't think she should have any objections, I mean it's me"
"You really don't know her, but good luck with that"

He sighed deeply as he walked out of the office, on his way back to the cubicle he almost bumped into the receptionist. 

"Hi Mike"
"Hey Rose, how are you?"
"Fine, uhmmm, there is a man at the reception, he has refused to leave until he speaks to a lawyer. Everyone is busy so I am kinda hoping if you will help me out" she said
"Okay, where is he?"
"Let me walk you to him"

He reached the reception to meet the man in question, sitting with his legs crossed and his hands behind his head. Mike was appalled by his mode of relaxation in an office. 

"So Mr I heard you need a lawyer"
"It's Issac, Issac Emenike" he introduced himself 
"How may we be of service?"
"I just got fired from my Bank job where I was an accountant, I want to sue for unlawful termination of employment" he said head strong which made Mike chuckle.
"Aren't banks synonymous with massive retrenchment all the time? Why is your case different?"
"It is because I have an MSc in business administration and a chartered accountant, they are dead without me" he proudly announced.
"Looks like there is more to your story, come with me, let's see if you have a case here"


To be continued.... 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't forget to drop your comment! I would love to hear your thoughts! Thanks for reading