Saturday, December 12, 2015

MANDY'S LAW: EPISODE TWENTY: WE DON'T SEE IT COMING



"I've been waiting here for a while now and I almost thought you wouldn't show up. How did it go?"

He stood at the reception with his hands folded looking up to Mike in anticipation of good news. 

"I'm sorry to disappoint you but I can't take your case" he said to his surprise 

"Just like that?" Can't you at least explain to me?" 

He rather he demanded than ask politely but Mike didn't budge. 

"Well I went over to your work place and no one had anything pleasant to say"
"That's because they are haters"

He said bluntly and Mike wasn't pleased. 

"Excuse me?"
"They are haters, all of them and that's the more reason you should sue their asses!" he ranted
"Watch your language here or I would hold you in contempt"

"Seriously? Come on man chill out, take the case, you won't regret it" he pressed further
"Mr Emenike I am sorry but I'm going to ask you to leave"

His eyes widened in dismal.

"You are asking me to walk out of this firm? He grunted "You know before I came here, I heard this firm was best at getting the job done, but right now, not so much, go to hell! You will regret this, I promise you"

He stormed down to the elevator, hitting the button repeatedly until it chimed and gave way. He stomped in muttering curses and kicking furiously at the walls until the doors slid close. 

"Is that man okay?" Rose asked
"I don't think so, but he got what he deserved"


She stared on at him as he tried to pick up his courage and render an apology. 

"I don't know where to start but I have to start from somewhere, I am really sorry Mandy for being disloyal and sentimental at my job. I promise not to get you upset ever" he said
"Really? That was touching, what got into you?" she teased 

"I realized that the path I want to choose for myself is wrong. I have also decided not to take the case"
"Don't be stupid. Look Mike I am not the boss of your life, you are the boss of your own life. Take the case because if you don't you might regret later when you reflect on your life. It's important that you do" she commanded
"So I can go ahead and tell Mr Lawson that I'm on it?"
"No need"

He became confused on what she really meant "I already did, said you let me do the honors"

"Wow, thanks Mandy, I will not disappoint you"
"Slow down tiger, don't get way over your head"
"Seriously I won't"


He exited the building with Peggy and they walked to the garage. 

"You were right Pegs, she is really a nice person" he said as she opened the car door
"Don't get too cocky, she has her highs and lows, you don't want to get caught in the middle" she said
"I know, I'm having a moment here, don't jinx it"
"See you tomorrow Mike, are you sure you don't want me to drop you off"
"Don't worry, my place is not far from here, but yours is. Have a nice night."

He waited until she drove out of the compound then he slowly made his way to the gate. He was surprised that the gate man wasn't at his post anymore and felt something wasn't right. Soon enough he saw two men emerge from the shadows. 

"Hey" one called out to him "You are Mike right?"
"Yes, how did you?"

They rendered several blows on his body knocking him down to the ground and dealt severe beatings all over him. He felt his bones break one by one and other parts of his body go numb to the blows"

"Next time, take a case" the spokesman said and spat on him.


He laid almost lifeless on the floor gasping for breath as he reached for his phone and helped himself stand, swaying dangerously to the gate. The screen was already smashed because it was in his pocket, he scrolled down his contact and dialed her number, she picked at the second dial tone. 

"Hello Mike, how are you?"

"Ngo...zi, I am, I am" 

He struggled to speak but his mouth was heavy and bruised

"Mike, are you alright?"
"Help. Me" 

The phone slipped out of his hand as he hit the hard concrete, nothing was seen, nothing was heard, just darkness, pitch darkness and her voice fading slowly as it pierced through the phone. 

"Mike!  Mike! Hello Hello, Mike, talk to me, Mike!"


To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't forget to drop your comment! I would love to hear your thoughts! Thanks for reading